Over the weekend, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is pushing coach Jason Garrett to give up his play-calling duties.
The process continues. Per a league source, the Cowboys are quietly looking for a new offensive coordinator.
Currently, Bill Callahan serves as both the offensive coordinator and the offensive line coach. A new offensive coordinator presumably would call the plays instead of Garrett.
But Garrett, we’re told, is resisting the move. And if it happens, he wants someone who has no head-coaching experience.
The Princeton-educated Garrett didn’t need to go to Princeton to realize that an offensive coordinator with head-coaching experience can become a convenient interim head coach, if Jones decides during a given season to make a change.
The Cowboys have said nothing in response to Mortensen’s report. Which fairly can be interpreted to mean that the report is accurate, and that the discomfort Jones promised at Valley Ranch extends beyond the firing of running backs coach Skip Peete and defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.
The Rangers and right-hander Neftali Feliz have avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $2.9 million contract, according to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. The deal includes $1 million in performance-based incentives.
Feliz, 24, was arbitration-eligible for the first time this offseason. The Rangers have him under team control through 2015.
After pitching exclusively as a reliever over his first three seasons in the majors, Feliz was moved into the starting rotation last season and posted a 3.16 ERA and 37/23 K/BB ratio over 42 2/3 innings prior to being placed on the disabled list in May with a sprained ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. He attempted to rehab the injury at first, but eventually opted for Tommy John surgery in August. He’s expected to miss most, if not all, of the 2013 season, but the Rangers could bring him back sooner out of the bullpen.
Seven players from the Texas Rangers have been named to provisional rosters for the 2013 World Baseball Classic.
• Adrian Beltre – Dominican Republic
• Nelson Cruz – Dominican Republic
• Alexi Ogando – Dominican Republic
• Jurickson Profar – Netherlands
• Engel Beltre – Spain
• Derek Holland – USA
• Elvis Andrus – Venezuela
This year’s tournament features teams from 28 countries including the qualification rounds — an increase over the 16 that competed in 2006 and 2009 — who come together to celebrate baseball at its best. The Classic runs from March 1 through March 19 in venues in three countries.
UPDATE: Yes, there are incentives, and if reached, they can boost the deal up to $13 million or so. Still, the fact that it’s a $5 million base does suggest that the Red Sox were truly spooked by Napoli’s health.
10:20 AM: Wow! Heyman reports that the Napoli deal is for only $5 million! That’s is crazy-low given where the sides were at previously. One has to assume the deal is laden with incentives. Or that Napoli basically doesn’t have a functioning hip.
Continue reading UPDATE: Mike Napoli, Red Sox reach a one-year deal — for only $5 million!